SummerFest parade marshals announced

Posted July 6, 2015 at 9:18 pm


agnes and john.jpg

This year’s Hull SummerFest parade marshals have both chosen to serve the community through their careers. John Scholten, owner of Scholten Plumbing and Heating 50 years, will be the Grand Marshal of the parade. Waylon Pollema, a deputy with the Sioux County Sheriff’s Office and a school resource officer, will be the Parade Marshal.

Both men are honored and humbled by the recognition.

John and his wife, Agnes, started Scholten Plumbing and Heating in 1965 in their garage on Third Street in Hull. He installed plumbing in residential and commercial property and also installed furnaces, air conditioners and pumps for shallow and deep wells. The pump work was his favorite because it was outside.

In 1967 they purchased land across the street from their house and built the current location of the business.

About 20 years ago Scholten quit doing residential work and focused on water lines and pump repair. Today, at age 82, he still dabbles in pump work but doesn’t work every day.

The Scholtens are the parents of four children, Glen Scholten, Faye Kroese, Marla Groeneweg and Andrea Scholten, 10 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Pollema, 44, has been with the Sioux County Sheriff’s Department since 2003. He’s been a deputy 10 years and a school resource officer five years.

“Nearly six years ago, Sheriff Altena decided to create this position (school resource officer) so we could be proactive by building relationships with students and being a presence in the schools,” explained Pollema.

His responsibilities include law-related education, informal counseling and law enforcement in general. For example, he may partner with the Iowa State Patrol and visit a math class to explain how officers use equations to determine vehicle speed based on skid marks. Some biology teachers request information on crime scene investigation.

Pollema began his position working with Boyden-Hull and Western Christian High schools. Now he also works with Hull Christian, Boyden-Hull Elementary, Hospers Elementary, Spalding Catholic in Granville and Netherlands Christian School in Rock Valley, jointly with the Rock Valley Police Department.

“My schedule is very flexible. I’m usually in Boyden-Hull and Western once or twice a week and the other schools less often, but it depends on the school and what activities are going on,” said Pollema.

During the school year, 75 percent of his time is spent working with students in school. The other 25 percent is spent in regular duty shifts with the sheriff’s department.

Pollema’s favorite part of his job is being around the kids, helping them out and answering questions.

“I’m blessed,” he added. “I get to be proactive by building relationships with the students and look at what’s best for them. I do my job because of the kids. If I could take every one of them in the parade with me, I would.”

Bla