Former Bank demolished in Hope

Posted November 27, 2013 at 5:28 pm


top story.psd

On Monday, November 25th Lakeside Construction tore down the Hope State Bank building on Steele Ave.

L.B. Hanna and G.A. Warner organized Hope State Bank in 1900 with a capital of $10,000. The officers were: J.M Keene, Pres.; C.S. Moores, Vice Pres.; Watson E. Boise, cashier. Contractor Officer constructed the red brick 25 x 40 building with brown stone trimmings and plate glass windows on lots 4 block 30, Steele Ave.

The front of the building was a large banking room with directors and cashiers private offices in the back. A large vault and time lock burglarproof safe protected the book, papers and cash.

In 1905 the name was changed to Hope National Bank and after 22 years of service was reorganized February 1927 under the name of the Hope Security Bank. The officers were: J.S. Palfrey, Pres.; F.W. Wilmert, Vice Pres.; C.W. Moores, Cashier; J.M. Curtiss, Assist. Cashier; R.A. Lathrop and T. Thorsland, Director.

On March 13, 1931 Hope Security Bank was forced to close due to the economic depression.

Since closing in 1931 the building has been a home for many businesses. In 1934 the building was remodeled into a Post Office until January 1957. After being sold to Hank and Hazel Jakes the building was remodeled into a laundromat until December 1971. Other owners and operators of the laundromat were Rud Thorsland, Joe Schmitt, Ken Ihry and Herb Paul until 1978.

The building remained closed until September 1980 until Scott Parkman purchased it and began restoring the interior to its original décor. Parkman, along with his wife Tammy and father, Charles Parkman Sr. used the building to expand Parkman’s Furniture and Refinishing, which was located on the east side of Second Street.

The Historical Society owned the building until it was purchased by Farmers Union of Hope. The building deemed structurally unsound was demolished with the plans with future plans of expanding. Items found inside the building were taken to the Steele County Museum along with the signage and bricks from the outside of the building which will be put up on display on the museum grounds.

*Historic information reprinted of the Hope, ND Through the Century 1882-1982 book with permission.

Bla